Assembly polls not to come in way of Union Budget:
New Delhi: The Election Commission today said the Assembly elections in three states announced on Friday will not have any bearing on the presentation of the Union Budget.
Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said government will have to seek its permission before making major announcements when the Model Code of Conduct is in force.
"Actually, model code does not interfere with legislative business. Whatever is in legislature, model code will not interfere with that," he said.
While Assembly election in Tripura will be held on February 14, that in Meghalaya and Nagaland will be held on February 23 and their results will be out on February 28, when the Union Budget is likely to be presented in Parliament.
The CEC said the model code does not interfere with legislative functions and the Election Commission follows its mandate of holding elections before the due date.
"From today, the model code is in operation. If there is any urgency for anyone, they will have to take prior (permission). If there is any matter of national importance, they will have to take prior permission of the Commission," Sampath said.
The CEC was asked if any major announcement, including the Union Budget, will be announced when the model code is in force.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list