Attack on Pakistani prisoner extremely distressing: Khurshid
On Board Special Aircraft: Terming as "extremely distressing" the attack on a Pakistani prisoner in Jammu jail, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Friday said Pakistan will be provided all assistance and promised full investigation to fix responsibility for the assault.
He rubbished any talks of retaliation and conspiracy in this "unfortunate" incident.
He regretted that the incident took place even after the government of India had issued alert on the safety of Pakistani prisoners to all prisons and police authorities of all states in the aftermath of murderous attack on Sarabjit Singh in a Lahore jail.
"Injuries caused to a person in incarceration is unacceptable and sad. Therefore we are cooperating with Pakistan...," Khurshid told reporters accompanying him on a three-day visit to Iran.
"Despite the alert, this incident happened, it is unfortunate and extremely extremely distressing," he said.
Khurshid said that administrative action has been taken, accountability is being fixed and there will be a full investigation.
To a question, he agreed there is a concern over the safety of Indian prisoners in Pakistan as also Pakistani prisoners in India.
When asked about reports that the attack on the Pakistani prisoner in Jammu jail was in retaliation to the assault meted out to Sarabjit in Lahore jail, he said, "People will try to imagine all kinds of things here and in Pakistan.
He added, "The talks of retaliation, conspiracy, intent to kill can continue indefinitely if we continue on this path."
Referring to the Jammu incident, Khurshid said the attacker and the victim knew each other well and used to smoke together.
"How it led to violence, it is too early to say."
Referring to the deadly assault on Sarabjit, who succumbed to injuries day before yesterday, he said, "Whatever happened in Pakistan was extremely unfortunate. I don`t think Pakistan can deny it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog