Attack on Sarabjit Singh very sad incident: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday termed as a "very sad" incident the attack on Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh in a jail in Pakistan.
"It is very sad. I think in the jail, I think some inmates attacked him. I think that is very sad," he said when asked about the attack on Sarabjit Singh in a Pakistani jail.
After the attack on him in the Kot Lakhpat Jail, Sarabjit was rushed to a hospital where he was in a "deep coma" and had been put on a ventilator.
Doctors were unable to perform surgery on him because of extensive internal bleeding caused by a severe head injury.
Pakistani local police authorities have registered an FIR against prisoners Amer Aftab and Mudassar following a complaint from Assistant Superintendent Ishtiaq Ahmed Gill of Kot Lakhpath Jail.
Two officials of the Indian High Commission got consular access to Sarabjit Singh at the ICU of Jinnah Hospital. The Indian mission had contacted Pakistan?s Foreign Office last night to seek consular access.
Sarabjit was convicted for alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former President Pervez Musharraf.
The outgoing Pakistan People`s Party-led government put off Sarabjit`s execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi