Babri mosque issue stalls Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Babri Masjid demolition on Thursday cast its shadow on Lok Sabha on the 20th anniversary of the incident, with supporters and opponents of the Ayodhya movement paralysing the proceedings for the entire day.
Waving of a black flag by BSP member Shafiqur Rahman Burq to protest the demolition when the House assembled for the day provoked angry reaction from the BJP and Shiv Sena members.
The action of the BSP member led to two adjournments and the House was adjourned for the day at 1400 hours.
BJP and Shiv Sena members repeatedly stormed the Well demanding naming of Barq, whose action of waving the flag saw Speaker Meira Kumar telling him that he was insulting the House and directing him to keep the flag aside.
Several members, including Basudeb Acharia (CPI-M), demanded action on the report of Liberhan Commission which probed its demolition of the Ayodhya mosque as well as against those responsible for the incident.
Barq, Asaduddin Owaisi (MIM), as also those from the BJP and Shiv Sena also trooped into the Well, forcing the adjournment of the House till noon for the first time.
The proceedings were again disrupted at 1200 hours as BJP and Shiv Sena members were unrelenting on action against Barq, despite P C Chacko, who was in the Chair, pleading with the Opposition leaders that they would be allowed to speak on the issue once Acharia makes his point on the Liberhan panel.
When the House reassembled at 1400 hours for the third time, BJP and Shiv Sena members again came into the Well raising slogans seeking construction of a temple at the disputed site. They were countered by Samajwadi Party members who also came in to the Well.
This led to Deputy Speaker Karia Munda adjourning the House for the day. Earlier, Gurudas Dasgupta (CPI) raised procedural objections to the listing of the Banking Laws (Amendment) Bill 2011 in today`s legislative business and urged the Speaker to postpone the matter.
At 1400 hours, Munda, who was in the Chair, announced that the Speaker had acceded to Dasgupta`s request and postponed the consideration and passage of the bill.
Munda then took up the Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws (Amendment) Bill, but nothing could be heard in the din and the House was adjourned even as Finance Minister P Chidambaram was seeking to pilot the legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?