Baby sold through Facebook: NHRC seeks report from WCD Ministry
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday sought reports from the Union Women and Child Ministry and police commissioners of Ludhiana and Delhi in connection with reports of a baby being sold thrice through a deal struck on `Facebook`.
The Commission, which took suo motu action on the basis of media reports, asked the Secretary of WCD Ministry and the police commissioners to submit their reports within four weeks, a statement said.
The baby born of April three in Ludhiana was sold three times in 10 days, first by his maternal grandfather and the last by an unidentified person to a Delhi businessman through a deal struck on social networking site `Facebook` before he was rescued.
"The baby was abducted allegedly by his maternal father on April 10 and sold for Rs 45,000 with the help of some staff at the nursing home. The baby was further sold to a hospital Lab Assistant for Rs.3 lakh and finally to the Delhi businessman for Rs.8 lakh," the statement said quoting reports.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise a serious violation of human rights of the baby.
Four persons, including the baby`s maternal grandfather Feroze Khan, his accomplice Irfan, nurse Sunita and another employee of a private nursing home in Ludhiana, have been arrested in connection with this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway