Baby sold through Facebook: NHRC seeks report from WCD Ministry
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday sought reports from the Union Women and Child Ministry and police commissioners of Ludhiana and Delhi in connection with reports of a baby being sold thrice through a deal struck on `Facebook`.
The Commission, which took suo motu action on the basis of media reports, asked the Secretary of WCD Ministry and the police commissioners to submit their reports within four weeks, a statement said.
The baby born of April three in Ludhiana was sold three times in 10 days, first by his maternal grandfather and the last by an unidentified person to a Delhi businessman through a deal struck on social networking site `Facebook` before he was rescued.
"The baby was abducted allegedly by his maternal father on April 10 and sold for Rs 45,000 with the help of some staff at the nursing home. The baby was further sold to a hospital Lab Assistant for Rs.3 lakh and finally to the Delhi businessman for Rs.8 lakh," the statement said quoting reports.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise a serious violation of human rights of the baby.
Four persons, including the baby`s maternal grandfather Feroze Khan, his accomplice Irfan, nurse Sunita and another employee of a private nursing home in Ludhiana, have been arrested in connection with this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional