Baby sold through Facebook: NHRC seeks report from WCD Ministry
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday sought reports from the Union Women and Child Ministry and police commissioners of Ludhiana and Delhi in connection with reports of a baby being sold thrice through a deal struck on `Facebook`.
The Commission, which took suo motu action on the basis of media reports, asked the Secretary of WCD Ministry and the police commissioners to submit their reports within four weeks, a statement said.
The baby born of April three in Ludhiana was sold three times in 10 days, first by his maternal grandfather and the last by an unidentified person to a Delhi businessman through a deal struck on social networking site `Facebook` before he was rescued.
"The baby was abducted allegedly by his maternal father on April 10 and sold for Rs 45,000 with the help of some staff at the nursing home. The baby was further sold to a hospital Lab Assistant for Rs.3 lakh and finally to the Delhi businessman for Rs.8 lakh," the statement said quoting reports.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise a serious violation of human rights of the baby.
Four persons, including the baby`s maternal grandfather Feroze Khan, his accomplice Irfan, nurse Sunita and another employee of a private nursing home in Ludhiana, have been arrested in connection with this case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata