Baby sold through Facebook: NHRC seeks report from WCD Ministry
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday sought reports from the Union Women and Child Ministry and police commissioners of Ludhiana and Delhi in connection with reports of a baby being sold thrice through a deal struck on `Facebook`.
The Commission, which took suo motu action on the basis of media reports, asked the Secretary of WCD Ministry and the police commissioners to submit their reports within four weeks, a statement said.
The baby born of April three in Ludhiana was sold three times in 10 days, first by his maternal grandfather and the last by an unidentified person to a Delhi businessman through a deal struck on social networking site `Facebook` before he was rescued.
"The baby was abducted allegedly by his maternal father on April 10 and sold for Rs 45,000 with the help of some staff at the nursing home. The baby was further sold to a hospital Lab Assistant for Rs.3 lakh and finally to the Delhi businessman for Rs.8 lakh," the statement said quoting reports.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise a serious violation of human rights of the baby.
Four persons, including the baby`s maternal grandfather Feroze Khan, his accomplice Irfan, nurse Sunita and another employee of a private nursing home in Ludhiana, have been arrested in connection with this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi