Be more proactive on disaster management: NDMA to states
New Delhi: The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Monday asked states to be more proactive on disaster management and appoint full-time chiefs for disaster management authorities.
"The states have to become more proactive. The responsibility to respond to any disaster is with them. I know many states which are not aware what funds are available with them for natural disaster. We need to really educate the states," NDMA`s vice chairman M Shashidhar Reddy told a news agency in an interview.
He said that states have been insisted to appoint full time chiefs of disaster management authorities in their jurisdictions.
The Chief Minister in a state is head of State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) and revenue minister is vice chairman and other ministers are members.
"Some states have appointed Chief Executive Officers for SDMAs whereas Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh have agreed to appoint full-time chiefs," Reddy said.
"In the light of the Uttarakhand tragedy, I want to drive home this point for all the chief ministers (that) the disaster management architecture of any state needs to be geared up. This will be a great learning from the Uttarakhand catastrophe," he said.
"It is a very unfortunate incident. The whole nation feels about it. But the people who manage disasters convert this into an opportunity to prepare to deal with disasters in a better way”
"There will definitely be lessons to be learned. This is the process which will take some time to fully understand the magnitude and the manner in which the whole thing evolved and happened," the vice chairman said when asked what lessons have been learnt from the disaster in Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP