Be more proactive on disaster management: NDMA to states
New Delhi: The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on Monday asked states to be more proactive on disaster management and appoint full-time chiefs for disaster management authorities.
"The states have to become more proactive. The responsibility to respond to any disaster is with them. I know many states which are not aware what funds are available with them for natural disaster. We need to really educate the states," NDMA`s vice chairman M Shashidhar Reddy told a news agency in an interview.
He said that states have been insisted to appoint full time chiefs of disaster management authorities in their jurisdictions.
The Chief Minister in a state is head of State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) and revenue minister is vice chairman and other ministers are members.
"Some states have appointed Chief Executive Officers for SDMAs whereas Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh have agreed to appoint full-time chiefs," Reddy said.
"In the light of the Uttarakhand tragedy, I want to drive home this point for all the chief ministers (that) the disaster management architecture of any state needs to be geared up. This will be a great learning from the Uttarakhand catastrophe," he said.
"It is a very unfortunate incident. The whole nation feels about it. But the people who manage disasters convert this into an opportunity to prepare to deal with disasters in a better way”
"There will definitely be lessons to be learned. This is the process which will take some time to fully understand the magnitude and the manner in which the whole thing evolved and happened," the vice chairman said when asked what lessons have been learnt from the disaster in Uttarakhand.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut