Bihar train attack: 12-member RPF team to escort trains in Maoist-affected areas
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the killing of its jawan and snatching of rifles by Maoists from an escort team in a Patna-bound train, RPF on Thursday increased the number of personnel to 12 to be deployed in a train.
"We have issued instructions to all RPF units at Maoist- affected Divisions to adequately strengthen the escort team in trains", said a senior RPF official adding "now a minimum of 12 personnel will be part of the escort team."
There were only five RPF personnel on Dhanbad-Patna Inter City Express train as an escort team of the train passing through Maoist-affected area in Bihar.
Three persons were killed and five were injured in the attack by Maoists on the train.
Currently, RPF excort about 1270 trains while GRP is being given the responsibility of about 2200 trains in the country.
RPF has also asked its units to stengthen patrolling in those affected divisons to ensure rail property and passengers safe.
Railway zones which are facing Maoist threat include East Central, South Eastern, East Coast, Eastern and South East Central Railway.
The RPF official said the jawan Suknath Debnath Singh, the RPF jawan killed in the Maoist attack on a Patna-bound train in Bihar, was a fresh recruit in the para-military force.
Singh, who completed his training in January this year and posted in the RPSF in May, resisted the attempt by Maoists to snatch rifles from him, the official said.
Besides killing three persons, Maoists also snatched away three rifles from RPF jawans.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know