Bihar train attack: 12-member RPF team to escort trains in Maoist-affected areas
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the killing of its jawan and snatching of rifles by Maoists from an escort team in a Patna-bound train, RPF on Thursday increased the number of personnel to 12 to be deployed in a train.
"We have issued instructions to all RPF units at Maoist- affected Divisions to adequately strengthen the escort team in trains", said a senior RPF official adding "now a minimum of 12 personnel will be part of the escort team."
There were only five RPF personnel on Dhanbad-Patna Inter City Express train as an escort team of the train passing through Maoist-affected area in Bihar.
Three persons were killed and five were injured in the attack by Maoists on the train.
Currently, RPF excort about 1270 trains while GRP is being given the responsibility of about 2200 trains in the country.
RPF has also asked its units to stengthen patrolling in those affected divisons to ensure rail property and passengers safe.
Railway zones which are facing Maoist threat include East Central, South Eastern, East Coast, Eastern and South East Central Railway.
The RPF official said the jawan Suknath Debnath Singh, the RPF jawan killed in the Maoist attack on a Patna-bound train in Bihar, was a fresh recruit in the para-military force.
Singh, who completed his training in January this year and posted in the RPSF in May, resisted the attempt by Maoists to snatch rifles from him, the official said.
Besides killing three persons, Maoists also snatched away three rifles from RPF jawans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand