BJP, AAP cry foul over dynastic politics
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Aam Aadmi Party said it would be dynastic politics if Prime Minister Manmohan Singh resigns to pave way for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
"If we go by speculation, it is their choice who they want as prime minister. But if they bring Rahul Gandhi, it will be about dynastic politics," Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Kumar Vishwas, who is supposed to contest against the Gandhi scion in Amethi in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, said: "In the whole political life of Rahul Gandhi, there is nothing except his Gandhi surname."
"Everyone knows the situation in Amethi. I think Congress is scared to keep him as an MP. They want to make him the prime minister. But it will be difficult to save him because people have decided," he said.
News reports, quoting sources, said the prime minister is likely to resign in a press conference scheduled Friday, paving way for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari, however, denied the reports calling them "baseless and based on conjecture and insinuation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof