BJP, AAP cry foul over dynastic politics
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Aam Aadmi Party said it would be dynastic politics if Prime Minister Manmohan Singh resigns to pave way for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
"If we go by speculation, it is their choice who they want as prime minister. But if they bring Rahul Gandhi, it will be about dynastic politics," Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Kumar Vishwas, who is supposed to contest against the Gandhi scion in Amethi in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, said: "In the whole political life of Rahul Gandhi, there is nothing except his Gandhi surname."
"Everyone knows the situation in Amethi. I think Congress is scared to keep him as an MP. They want to make him the prime minister. But it will be difficult to save him because people have decided," he said.
News reports, quoting sources, said the prime minister is likely to resign in a press conference scheduled Friday, paving way for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari, however, denied the reports calling them "baseless and based on conjecture and insinuation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?