BJP attacks Cong over Vadra land deals, coal blocks issue
New Delhi: Cornered over charges of dubious funding of party president Nitin Gadkari`s Purti Group, BJP on Wednesday hit out at ruling Congress asking why no action is being taken against Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vardra in land deals and the Prime Minister in the coal allocation scam.
"Congress is attacking the Opposition. BJP would like to ask some straight questions. Why are the wrongdoings of Robert Vadra not being investigated? Why are the facts being hidden from the public? Why is there an attempt to shield him?" BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
The party alleged that Vadra has been alloted big chunks of land in Rajasthan and Haryana at throw-away prices in complete violation of rules.
"Why is the Congress maintaining a conspicuous silence on this issue?" Prasad said.
The principal Opposition also dragged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh into its line of fire.
"What was the role of the Prime Minister in Coalgate and why is it not being probed? He was the coal minister when the coal block allocations were made. Is he not answerable for it?" Prasad said.
The party also asked why Singh is not willing to attend the JPC looking into the 2G spectrum allocations when he earlier offered to appear before the PAC.
BJP alleged that CBI and the Enforcement Directorate are being prevented from undertaking a fair probe into the Malaysian angle in the Aircel-Maxis deal and sought to know "who is pressurising these bodies".
Prasad said though the Prime Minister had promised in Parliament that he will take action on the findings of the Shunglu Committee, he has not done so. He insisted that the Sheila Dikshit led Delhi government has been indicted by the panel in the Commonwealth Games projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Did you know Shahid Kapoor is Saina Nehwal's biggest fan?
- Modi crosses Rubicon on military ties with US: CPI-M
- Amid IIFA fever, Hrithik Roshan spends quality time with sons – View pics
- Turkish nationalist's resignation adds to pressure on veteran leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna seeks copy of driver Shyamvar's confessional statement