BJP demands probe into Congress `loan`
New Delhi: The BJP Saturday demanded a probe into the Congress party providing an interest-free loan to Associated Journals Ltd and said that the ruling party should answer questions on major issues of corruption.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also criticized the Oct 28 ministry reshuffle saying the Congress party had only brought back corrupt ministers.
Addressing a press conference hours after Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy said he would seek de-recognition of the Congress for providing a loan to Associated Journals Ltd, Sitharaman said: "The BJP clearly demands an inquiry into the matter, and demands that the Congress face the truth and answer questions, rather than running away for the ninth or tenth time on major critical issues of corruption."
Taking a dig at Congress spokesperson Janardan Dwivedi, who had taken on a strident note while addressing a press conference to justify the loan amount to the Associated Journals, she said the BJP had noted the manner in which Congress was answering questions on issues that relate to them.
She said the Congress spokesperson "did not wait for the media to ask questions and was not ready to answer questions."
On the cabinet reshuffle, she said the rejig had "brought back corrupt ministers.. so what was the removal for then?" Salman Khurshid, who is accused of financial impropriety in by anti-corruption activists, was made the external affairs minister.
Without naming Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who was Friday brought back by the Congress to represent the party on the electronic media, she said : "You bring back people who have been charged and questioned on public behavior… is this an extension of Nehru and Gandhi`s ideological commitment to the people of India?"
"Would Gandhi and Nehru justify the 27 rapes in one month," she said referring to the spate of rapes in Haryana state.
Taking a dig at Congress president Sonia Gandhi, who went to visit the home of a gangrape victim, Sitharaman said: "You go to visit a Dalit home affected by rape, and pat the chief minister (Bhupinder Singh Hooda). Is this what Gandhi and Nehru have taught you?"
"It is astonishing the way in which the Congress party remembers leaders who for them should have been top priority to follow in terms of conduct. Today they remember them to cover up their mistakes, to cover up the insensitivity with which they are running the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked