BJP demands probe into Congress `loan`
New Delhi: The BJP Saturday demanded a probe into the Congress party providing an interest-free loan to Associated Journals Ltd and said that the ruling party should answer questions on major issues of corruption.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also criticized the Oct 28 ministry reshuffle saying the Congress party had only brought back corrupt ministers.
Addressing a press conference hours after Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy said he would seek de-recognition of the Congress for providing a loan to Associated Journals Ltd, Sitharaman said: "The BJP clearly demands an inquiry into the matter, and demands that the Congress face the truth and answer questions, rather than running away for the ninth or tenth time on major critical issues of corruption."
Taking a dig at Congress spokesperson Janardan Dwivedi, who had taken on a strident note while addressing a press conference to justify the loan amount to the Associated Journals, she said the BJP had noted the manner in which Congress was answering questions on issues that relate to them.
She said the Congress spokesperson "did not wait for the media to ask questions and was not ready to answer questions."
On the cabinet reshuffle, she said the rejig had "brought back corrupt ministers.. so what was the removal for then?" Salman Khurshid, who is accused of financial impropriety in by anti-corruption activists, was made the external affairs minister.
Without naming Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who was Friday brought back by the Congress to represent the party on the electronic media, she said : "You bring back people who have been charged and questioned on public behavior… is this an extension of Nehru and Gandhi`s ideological commitment to the people of India?"
"Would Gandhi and Nehru justify the 27 rapes in one month," she said referring to the spate of rapes in Haryana state.
Taking a dig at Congress president Sonia Gandhi, who went to visit the home of a gangrape victim, Sitharaman said: "You go to visit a Dalit home affected by rape, and pat the chief minister (Bhupinder Singh Hooda). Is this what Gandhi and Nehru have taught you?"
"It is astonishing the way in which the Congress party remembers leaders who for them should have been top priority to follow in terms of conduct. Today they remember them to cover up their mistakes, to cover up the insensitivity with which they are running the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users