BJP expresses concern over `sinking` economic growth rate
New Delhi: Expressing concern over the "sinking" growth rate which stands at 5 per cent, BJP on Friday said the government has failed to rejuvenate the economy despite being in power for nine years and cautioned that this will hamper creation of new jobs, poverty alleviation programmes and the generation of revenue.
"The UPA has been in power for an uninterrupted period of five years and even after these years of UPA governance we are faced with a gloomy situation in the economy.
From a high rate of growth, the economy may sink to below 5 per cent growth rate which is a cause for serious concern," Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley told PTI.
He maintained that this will result in depletion of revenue and affect poverty alleviation programmes, which will disrupt India`s image of a "booming economy".
"The principal reason for this policy paralysis that has taken place since 2004 is that the Congress-led government has used national resources for vote-bank politics and not for rejuvenating the economy," Jaitley claimed.
The government has launched schemes to gain votes but failed to properly implement them, he said.
"The CAG draft report has shown that the farm loan waiver was a good move but the funds meant for it was misused," he said, adding that while the poor farmers did not get the funds, others benefited from it.
Jaitley said these issues related to the economy will be raised by the BJP in the Budget session of Parliament beginning on February 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured