BJP leaders meet Irish ambassador, demand speedy justice
New Delhi: Amid outage over death of an Indian dentist in Ireland after refusal by doctors to terminate her pregnancy, a BJP delegation on Friday met Irish Ambassador Feilim McLaughlin "to lodge protest" and demanded speedy justice for the family.
Pressing for a probe against hospital authorities, the delegation told the Ambassador that Savita Halappanavar would have survived if her pregnancy was medically terminated well in time.
31-year-old Halappanavar died in Ireland last month from blood poisoning after doctors allegedly refused to terminate her 17 week long pregnancy, telling her that "this is a Catholic country".
"We firmly believe no religion permits the murder of an innocent woman..., There was clear and substantial risk to the life of the mother which was a reality. The hospital and its staff deliberately overlooked it," BJP leaders Smriti Irani, Vijender Gupta and Vijay Jolly said.
"I speak as an Indian today, cutting across all political parties and ideologies. This horrific death of a pregnant young Indian woman should be an example for all of us to stand united and ensure that even a small, middle class family will get justice when India stands united," Irani said.
"We met the ambassador to lodge our protest not only on behalf of BJP but of every Indian who is dismayed by the murder of Savita," Irani said outside the Irish Embassy.
Irani claimed that the Ambassador acknowledged the need for a speedy and accurate investigation into the death of Halappanavar.
The Ambassador has expressed the possibility of calling international experts along with Irish experts to enquire into the matter so that an untainted investigation can be done in the case, she claimed.
Irani said that her party will raise this case along with other such issues where Indian nationals are involved in the coming Parliament session.
"We will raise such issues in the next Parliament session," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her