BJP slams UPA for pursuing `wrong` economic policies
New Delhi: Accusing the government of failing to arrest the slide of economy, BJP on Thursday slammed it for pursuing "wrong" economic policies saying the "three economists" in the UPA have failed to live up to the expectations of the people.
"There are three economists in the government - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia. But eight years of UPA rule has put the economy in bad shape ...Growth of GDP, inflation and fiscal deficit...Economy has hit a new low," Ananth Kumar said.
Initiating the debate on Supplementary Demands for Grants for 2012-13, the BJP member claimed that people now dub the three as "anarthshastri" (people who misconstrue).
Attacking the Prime Minister, Kumar referred to his remarks that money does not grow on trees. "True, money now grows in coal mines, airspace and Walmart," he said, referring to CAG reports on coal block allocations, 2G scam and alleged money spent by the retail giant for lobbying in India.
He claimed that the situation of the 1990s could return when the country had to mortgage its gold. "Sonia Gandhi, who heads the National Advisory Council, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and P Chidambaram are responsible for this," he said.
Kumar alleged that the government was hoarding foodgrains and liquidity which was hurting the interest of common man.
Welcoming the statement of intent made by Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily to hike the cap on LPG cylinders from six to nine, he said the announcement was made ahead of Gujarat Assembly polls.
Referring to the remarks of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said for UPA increase in GDP stands for hike in prices of gas, diesel and petroleum products. His remarks that Modi will return to power in Gujarat invited barbs from Congress members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das