BJP slams UPA for pursuing `wrong` economic policies
New Delhi: Accusing the government of failing to arrest the slide of economy, BJP on Thursday slammed it for pursuing "wrong" economic policies saying the "three economists" in the UPA have failed to live up to the expectations of the people.
"There are three economists in the government - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia. But eight years of UPA rule has put the economy in bad shape ...Growth of GDP, inflation and fiscal deficit...Economy has hit a new low," Ananth Kumar said.
Initiating the debate on Supplementary Demands for Grants for 2012-13, the BJP member claimed that people now dub the three as "anarthshastri" (people who misconstrue).
Attacking the Prime Minister, Kumar referred to his remarks that money does not grow on trees. "True, money now grows in coal mines, airspace and Walmart," he said, referring to CAG reports on coal block allocations, 2G scam and alleged money spent by the retail giant for lobbying in India.
He claimed that the situation of the 1990s could return when the country had to mortgage its gold. "Sonia Gandhi, who heads the National Advisory Council, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and P Chidambaram are responsible for this," he said.
Kumar alleged that the government was hoarding foodgrains and liquidity which was hurting the interest of common man.
Welcoming the statement of intent made by Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily to hike the cap on LPG cylinders from six to nine, he said the announcement was made ahead of Gujarat Assembly polls.
Referring to the remarks of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said for UPA increase in GDP stands for hike in prices of gas, diesel and petroleum products. His remarks that Modi will return to power in Gujarat invited barbs from Congress members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP