BJP slams UPA for pursuing `wrong` economic policies
New Delhi: Accusing the government of failing to arrest the slide of economy, BJP on Thursday slammed it for pursuing "wrong" economic policies saying the "three economists" in the UPA have failed to live up to the expectations of the people.
"There are three economists in the government - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia. But eight years of UPA rule has put the economy in bad shape ...Growth of GDP, inflation and fiscal deficit...Economy has hit a new low," Ananth Kumar said.
Initiating the debate on Supplementary Demands for Grants for 2012-13, the BJP member claimed that people now dub the three as "anarthshastri" (people who misconstrue).
Attacking the Prime Minister, Kumar referred to his remarks that money does not grow on trees. "True, money now grows in coal mines, airspace and Walmart," he said, referring to CAG reports on coal block allocations, 2G scam and alleged money spent by the retail giant for lobbying in India.
He claimed that the situation of the 1990s could return when the country had to mortgage its gold. "Sonia Gandhi, who heads the National Advisory Council, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and P Chidambaram are responsible for this," he said.
Kumar alleged that the government was hoarding foodgrains and liquidity which was hurting the interest of common man.
Welcoming the statement of intent made by Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily to hike the cap on LPG cylinders from six to nine, he said the announcement was made ahead of Gujarat Assembly polls.
Referring to the remarks of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said for UPA increase in GDP stands for hike in prices of gas, diesel and petroleum products. His remarks that Modi will return to power in Gujarat invited barbs from Congress members.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Non-veg food banned in Lucknow University campus, students term the decision as 'anti-Dalit'
- When Sachin Tendulkar's run-out against Pakistan triggered huge riot
- Rishi Kapoor spills the beans over son Ranbir Kapoor’s break-up with Katrina Kaif?
- Canara Bank revises lending rates based on MCLR
- Lenovo ZUK Z1 to be launched in India on May 10