BJP to oppose provisions in Lokpal
New Delhi: BJP today decided to oppose
certain provisions in the Lokpal Bill introduced in the Lok
Sabha and move for amendments in it.
The decision was taken at the party`s core group meeting
presided over by BJP president Nitin Gadkari and attended by L
K Advani, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj
and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley besides other
The historic Lokpal Bill was introduced by the government
in the Lok Sabha yesterday.
"BJP doesn`t want a sarkari (government) Lokpal Bill. We
want an effective Lokpal bill," said party general secretary
He said the party felt it is unfortunate that the Bill
presented in Parliament "is full of infirmities - both legal
Ananth Kumar said the party felt the Bill also
`infringes` upon the federal structure of the country as has
been put forth by Leader of Opposition in the Lok sabha
Sushma Swaraj during its introduction.
"BJP will take all necessary steps on December 27, 28 and
29, during the Parliament session to take to logical
conclusions the objections that the BJP has raised," said the
The BJP also felt that the Congress was not keen on
bringing an effective Lokpal Bill as it had no intention to
bring anything that could tackle corruption.
The BJP core group also deliberated upon the party`s
prospects in the five poll-bound states and discussed the
steps to be taken to ensure the party`s victory.
At the core group meeting, party leaders felt BJP is in
an advantageous position in all these poll-bound states but
will have to further gear up efforts for victory, Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal