BJP: Will govt delay execution of Ajmal Kasab
New Delhi: As the lone surviving perpetrator of Mumbai terror attacks and death row convict Ajmal Kasab filed a mercy petition before the President, BJP Tuesday sought to know if the government would delay his execution for vote-bank politics or deal with it on a priority basis.
"BJP would like to know from the government if his mercy petition would be dealt in the same manner in which Afzal Guru mercy petition has been dealt with...Will the government do it on some priority basis or delay it and do vote-bank politics," BJP Chief Spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters.
He alleged the government wants to delay the execution of the death of Kasab in the same way as it is doing with Afzal Guru`s.
"There is no law which prevents expeditious disposal of mercy petitions. We should not forget that even if it the case of Afzal Guru or the case of Ajmal Kazab, the nature of the crime involves attack on India," Prasad said.
On death row for the brazen Mumbai terror attacks, Kasab has filed a mercy petition before the President, a fortnight after losing his legal battle for life in the Supreme Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!