BJP: Will govt delay execution of Ajmal Kasab
New Delhi: As the lone surviving perpetrator of Mumbai terror attacks and death row convict Ajmal Kasab filed a mercy petition before the President, BJP Tuesday sought to know if the government would delay his execution for vote-bank politics or deal with it on a priority basis.
"BJP would like to know from the government if his mercy petition would be dealt in the same manner in which Afzal Guru mercy petition has been dealt with...Will the government do it on some priority basis or delay it and do vote-bank politics," BJP Chief Spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters.
He alleged the government wants to delay the execution of the death of Kasab in the same way as it is doing with Afzal Guru`s.
"There is no law which prevents expeditious disposal of mercy petitions. We should not forget that even if it the case of Afzal Guru or the case of Ajmal Kazab, the nature of the crime involves attack on India," Prasad said.
On death row for the brazen Mumbai terror attacks, Kasab has filed a mercy petition before the President, a fortnight after losing his legal battle for life in the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened