Blasts convict Yakub Memon is awarded MA degree
Nagpur: Yakub Memon, the only convict in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case whose death sentence was confirmed by the Supreme Court, has been awarded a master`s degree in English literature by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
Memon is lodged in the Central Prison here. Alongwith him, seven other convicts, who are serving life-terms, were awarded IGNOU degrees yesterday.
The main convocation was held in New Delhi while a simultaneous function was held at the university`s Regional Centre here.
Memon, however, could not attend the convocation here as police authorities refused him permission.
Dr Shivswaroop, Regional Director, IGNOU, told PTI that if the jail authorities permitted, he would like to hand degree certificate to Memon personally.
Memon, a qualified chartered accountant, cleared the MA examination with second division last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video