Bodh Gaya blasts may push Nitish Kumar to soften stand on NCTC
New Delhi: The multiple blasts in Bodhgaya, the first major terror attack at the pilgrimage spot and the rest of Bihar, may push Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to soften his stand in his opposition to set up anti-terror hub NCTC.
Home Ministry officials believe that the terror attack on the Mahabodhi temple in Bodhgaya may force the Chief Minister to soften his stand as he has to re-look the activities of terrorist groups in Bihar for safety of the state.
"The delay in setting up of NCTC will continue to hamper the government`s anti-terror initiatives. The sooner those oppose it realise its importance, the better for the country," an official said.
Kumar has been a strong opponent of the controversial National Counter Terrorism Centre saying the proposed body will hurt country`s federal structure if it carries out unilateral operations against terrorists and kept under the ambit of Intelligence Bureau.
However, despite Centre`s clarification that operations by NCTC would be carried only after taking the state into confidence and removal of the body from the ambit of IB failed to garner the Bihar Chief Minister`s support.
A few days before the Chief Ministers` conference on internal security held on June 5, Kumar dashed off a letter to the Centre strongly opposing the NCTC.
At the conference, Kumar EVEN said the revised draft order on NCTC suffered from several "serious flaws" and "arbitrary" provisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'