Body of missing Indian fisherman found in UAE
Dubai: The body of an Indian fisherman who disappeared last week while fishing in UAE`s Ras Al Khaimah has been discovered.
U Kristu Das, 34, had gone missing about 35 kms along the Gulf of Oman and his body was found floating several kilometres away from the Sharjah Harbour by a group of fisherman yesterday, a news report here said.
According to the Emirates 24/7 report, police and Coast guard officials recovered the body and transfered it to the mortuary in Sharjah.
Ignoring the warnings of the Meteorology Department regarding unstable weather, Das and six others ventured into the sea for fishing last week.
Other members of the group said Das who was seated at the extreme end of the vessel lost balance and fell into the waters.
All efforts to rescue him failed and the team had to abandon their search due to rough weather and high tides.
"Meanwhile there were reports that Das could have been rescued by fisherman in Iran. We had some hope that he would have survived. But we received the tragic news after his body was found," his friend M K Koya told the newspaper.
Das has been working in the UAE for the last eight years and had returned from a holiday just last month, the report said. He is survived by his wife Mary and daughters Anuja and Ajita.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened