Bombay HC questions repeated parole to Sanjay Dutt, ticks off state govt
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday questioned the extension of parole granted to actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
“The state should exercise its discretionary powers properly and should not discriminate,” the HC said.
It also said that the state government would not have shown this diligence in cases where convict is a common man.
The observations by the HC comes a day after the Union Home Ministry sought a report from the Maharashtra government on the issue.
In a communication yesterday, the Centre had asked the Maharashtra government to clarify whether Dutt was accorded any special privileges while accepting his parole request thrice within eight months since he was lodged in the Yerawada Central Jail in Pune.
Confirming the development, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil had said the state government would send its reply to the central government soon.
Asked whether convicts took advantage of the parole system, Patil had said it pertains to certain legal issues and he has sought details on this from the additional chief secretary in the Home Ministry.
Dutt, 54, has been sentenced to serve the remaining 42 months of his five-year prison term after he was found guilty in the March 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts.
He returned to the Pune jail May 18, 2013, and subsequently was granted parole on several occasions, creating a controversy. Currently, Dutt is out on parole since Dec 21 and will remain outside jail till March 21.
Prior to this, he was released on a fortnight-long furlough, which was extended by another fortnight in October 2013.
The reasons Dutt cited were personal medical grounds and later his wife Maanyata`s poor health condition as she suffers from multiple heart and liver ailments and underwent a surgery last month at a Mumbai hospital.
Meanwhile, reacting to its criticism for giving special treatment to Dutt, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said, "The law is same for all.”
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened