Boundary issue with Bangladesh to be expedited: Khurshid
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has said India is speeding up the process of resolution of land boundary issues with its friendly neighbour Bangladesh.
Speaking on the sidelines of an event here yesterday, Khurshid hinted that on this score, his ministry might soon bring up a constitutional amendment regarding the same in the upcoming session of Parliament.
"I am having widespread consultations with all political parties, I have already met quite a few of them, and in the next Parliament Session, we hope to bring the constitutional amendment which must be a voice of all the people of India, reaching out to all the people of Bangladesh," he said.
"We are two friendly countries that deserve and must actually solve problems such as this one, which has gone on for too long. And, I think, it is in the interest of both sides that we come to a conclusion to this, we build up more confidence, to be able to solve more difficult issues that we will take up once we have succeeded with this," he added.
During a recent visit to Dhaka, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde signed an extradition treaty with Bangladesh. It was an important step to tackle acts of trans-national criminals and fugitives.
India and Bangladesh share a unique bond and a special relationship rooted in a common cultural heritage, shared principles and values and forged by common aspirations and sacrifices of its people.
Bilateral relations between India and Bangladesh received a major boost during the historic state visit of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh to India in January 2010 that laid the road-map for our interactions.
Further, the visit of Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, to Bangladesh in September 2011 opened a new chapter in the bilateral ties and cemented the cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday