Briton admits killing Anuj Bidve
London: A 20-year-old Briton on Friday admitted to killing Indian student Anuj Bidve in Salford on December 26 last year.
Kiaran Stapleton pleaded guilty in a Manchester court today and admitted to shooting 23-year-old Bidve in an unprovoked attack on Boxing Day.
Stapleton, admitted to manslaughter at the Manchester Crown Court. He is expected to go on trial for murder.
According to a news channel, Bidve`s family stated: "We have made the journey from India to the United Kingdom because it was very important to us to hear, in person, Kiaran Stapleton`s plea.”
"This is the first time we have returned to the UK since Anuj was taken away from us on Boxing Day of last year, and the first time we have come face-to-face with the man charged with his murder, so clearly this is a very emotional and difficult time for us. “
"We have today heard in person that Kiaran Stapleton admitted killing Anuj. We know there is tremendous amount of interest from the media both at home in India and here in the United Kingdom.”
"As there will be a trial later this month, we cannot say anything further at this time and we would ask that the media respect both our privacy and the integrity of the court process.”
Lancaster University student Anuj Bidve was walking with friends in Salford when he was shot in the head at close range. A postgraduate student of Microelectronics at Lancaster University, Bidve died from a single gunshot wound.
Hundreds of people had attended candle-light vigils in Salford and New Delhi as the incident made headlines across India and Britain.
Bidve`s parents had arrived in the UK to collect the body for cremation in Pune.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video