Browne new Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee
New Delhi: Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne on Friday took over as the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, from Admiral Nirmal Verma on the latter`s superannuation.
In another senior appointment, Vice-Admiral S P S Cheema took over as chief of the tri-services Integrated Defence Staff.
The IAF Chief, who is the senior-most of the three Services heads, was handed over the charge of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, by Admiral Verma at a ceremony here.
It was due to this ceremony that ACM Browne could not go to Jamnagar yesterday itself after nine IAF personnel lost their lives there in a mid-air collision involving two helicopters.
The Airforce chief is taking over as the COSC at a time when the three Services are working towards increasing jointness in their operations and procurement procedures.
Meanwhile, Vice-Admiral Cheema, a specialist gunnery officer, also assumed office today as the head of the tri-services organisation.
He was commissioned into the Navy in January 1977 and is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College (DSSC), Wellington and the College of Naval Warfare (CNW), Mumbai.
The Vice-Admiral has spent majority of his time on afloat appointments. He also commanded missile corvette INS Khanjar and India`s only aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days