Browne new Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee
New Delhi: Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne on Friday took over as the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, from Admiral Nirmal Verma on the latter`s superannuation.
In another senior appointment, Vice-Admiral S P S Cheema took over as chief of the tri-services Integrated Defence Staff.
The IAF Chief, who is the senior-most of the three Services heads, was handed over the charge of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee, by Admiral Verma at a ceremony here.
It was due to this ceremony that ACM Browne could not go to Jamnagar yesterday itself after nine IAF personnel lost their lives there in a mid-air collision involving two helicopters.
The Airforce chief is taking over as the COSC at a time when the three Services are working towards increasing jointness in their operations and procurement procedures.
Meanwhile, Vice-Admiral Cheema, a specialist gunnery officer, also assumed office today as the head of the tri-services organisation.
He was commissioned into the Navy in January 1977 and is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College (DSSC), Wellington and the College of Naval Warfare (CNW), Mumbai.
The Vice-Admiral has spent majority of his time on afloat appointments. He also commanded missile corvette INS Khanjar and India`s only aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'