BSP to take ‘tough’ stand if SC/ST promotion bill not passed: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP on Monday threatened to take a "tough stand" in case the government does not help bring order in the Rajya Sabha and get passed a bill providing for reservation to SCs/STs in promotion in government jobs.
BSP also charged BJP with deliberately stalling the proceedings in the Rajya Sabha and accused SP of acting at its behest to stall the bill.
"We will see for two-three days more. We will see government`s stand on the issue. What they do and what the Chairman of Rajya Sabha says. Then, we will decide and a take a tough stand. The SC/ST bill is a very serious issue for us," BSP chief Mayawati told reporters outside Parliament House.
Asking the government to bring order in the House, she said "I want to tell the UPA government that running the House is their responsibility. Now, it is the government`s duty to run the House properly and get this bill debated and passed."
Hitting out at BJP for bringing up the issue of FDI in retail after the matter was debated upon and was a closed chapter now, she said "today this bill (SC/ST quota in jobs promotions) was to come. But it is sad that to stop this bill, BJP and company raised the issue of lobbying (by Walmart) in the Rajya Sabha."
"They allowed the Lok Sabha to function but they did not remember the issue of FDI and lobbying there? It proves that BJP and its supporters don`t want this bill to be passed," she said.
Attacking SP, Mayawati said, "Today, it is clear that SP is playing into BJP`s hands and is being used by BJP."
The BSP leader said it was the duty of the Rajya Sabha Chairman to take a decision to bring the House in order and said either marshalls are to be called in or action against members disrupting the House members be taken, including their suspension.
The bill, which will amend the Constitution to allow reservation in promotion for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribals, was listed in the Rajya Sabha and soon after it was taken up, there was disruption and the House was adjourned for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'