BSP to take ‘tough’ stand if SC/ST promotion bill not passed: Mayawati
New Delhi: BSP on Monday threatened to take a "tough stand" in case the government does not help bring order in the Rajya Sabha and get passed a bill providing for reservation to SCs/STs in promotion in government jobs.
BSP also charged BJP with deliberately stalling the proceedings in the Rajya Sabha and accused SP of acting at its behest to stall the bill.
"We will see for two-three days more. We will see government`s stand on the issue. What they do and what the Chairman of Rajya Sabha says. Then, we will decide and a take a tough stand. The SC/ST bill is a very serious issue for us," BSP chief Mayawati told reporters outside Parliament House.
Asking the government to bring order in the House, she said "I want to tell the UPA government that running the House is their responsibility. Now, it is the government`s duty to run the House properly and get this bill debated and passed."
Hitting out at BJP for bringing up the issue of FDI in retail after the matter was debated upon and was a closed chapter now, she said "today this bill (SC/ST quota in jobs promotions) was to come. But it is sad that to stop this bill, BJP and company raised the issue of lobbying (by Walmart) in the Rajya Sabha."
"They allowed the Lok Sabha to function but they did not remember the issue of FDI and lobbying there? It proves that BJP and its supporters don`t want this bill to be passed," she said.
Attacking SP, Mayawati said, "Today, it is clear that SP is playing into BJP`s hands and is being used by BJP."
The BSP leader said it was the duty of the Rajya Sabha Chairman to take a decision to bring the House in order and said either marshalls are to be called in or action against members disrupting the House members be taken, including their suspension.
The bill, which will amend the Constitution to allow reservation in promotion for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribals, was listed in the Rajya Sabha and soon after it was taken up, there was disruption and the House was adjourned for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out