Budget 2013: India hikes military spending 14 percent
New Delhi: India on Thursday hiked its military spending to Rs 203,672 crore (Rs 2.03 trillion/USD 37 billion), an increase of five percent over the Rs 193,407 crore outlay for 2012-13 but an increase of 14 percent in real terms.
The budget hike, in real terms, amounts to Rs 25,168 crore (USD 4.57 billion) over the revised estimates of Rs 178, 504 crore for the fiscal ending March 31. It translates into 14 percent increase.
The Finance Ministry had reduced the Defence Ministry`s capital expenditure in the current fiscal by Rs 10,000 crore in its revised estimates, pegging it at Rs 69,579 crore from the initial figure of Rs 79,579 crore.
"I propose to increase the allocation for defence to Rs 203,672 crore. This will include Rs 86,741 crore for capital expenditure," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said in his budget speech in the Lok Sabha.
The capital expenditure outlay of Rs 86,741 crore marks a hike of Rs 7,162 crore over last year`s budget estimates and Rs 17,162 over the revised estimates.
Chidambaram said Defence Minister AK Antony "has been most understanding".
"I assure him and the house that constraints will not come in the way of providing any additional requirement for security of the nation," he said.
On his part, Antony said Chidambaram had been fair to the defence sector.
"Factoring the current economic scenario, he has been fair to the defence sector also by increasing the budget and assuring that should there be any urgent need in future, the same would be provided," Antony said.
The money allocated for capital expenditure will go towards the procurement of new weapons and systems and towards meeting committed liabilities in the form of payments for contracts signed in previous years.
India is in the process of finalising a USD 20 billion contract for 126 Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft.
It has already signed contracts for 10 C-17 transport planes for USD 4.1 billion and upgrading 49 Mirage-2000 combat jets for USD 2.4 billion, both in 2011.
Of the capital expenditure, Rs 33,776 crore will go for towards aircraft and aeroengine purchases for the three services of which Rs 25,539 crore will go to the Air Force alone.
India will spend Rs 23,457 crore on other military equipment, apart from Rs 2,080 crore on heavy and medium vehicles. It will also utilise Rs 5,552 crore of its defence capital expenditure on research and development.
The Army will get the lion`s share of the ministry`s non-plan outplay at Rs 81,833 crore for 2013-14. The non-plan outlay for the Indian Air Force has been pegged at Rs 18,295 crore and for the Indian Navy at Rs 12,194 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt