Budget 2013: India hikes military spending 14 percent
New Delhi: India on Thursday hiked its military spending to Rs 203,672 crore (Rs 2.03 trillion/USD 37 billion), an increase of five percent over the Rs 193,407 crore outlay for 2012-13 but an increase of 14 percent in real terms.
The budget hike, in real terms, amounts to Rs 25,168 crore (USD 4.57 billion) over the revised estimates of Rs 178, 504 crore for the fiscal ending March 31. It translates into 14 percent increase.
The Finance Ministry had reduced the Defence Ministry`s capital expenditure in the current fiscal by Rs 10,000 crore in its revised estimates, pegging it at Rs 69,579 crore from the initial figure of Rs 79,579 crore.
"I propose to increase the allocation for defence to Rs 203,672 crore. This will include Rs 86,741 crore for capital expenditure," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said in his budget speech in the Lok Sabha.
The capital expenditure outlay of Rs 86,741 crore marks a hike of Rs 7,162 crore over last year`s budget estimates and Rs 17,162 over the revised estimates.
Chidambaram said Defence Minister AK Antony "has been most understanding".
"I assure him and the house that constraints will not come in the way of providing any additional requirement for security of the nation," he said.
On his part, Antony said Chidambaram had been fair to the defence sector.
"Factoring the current economic scenario, he has been fair to the defence sector also by increasing the budget and assuring that should there be any urgent need in future, the same would be provided," Antony said.
The money allocated for capital expenditure will go towards the procurement of new weapons and systems and towards meeting committed liabilities in the form of payments for contracts signed in previous years.
India is in the process of finalising a USD 20 billion contract for 126 Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft.
It has already signed contracts for 10 C-17 transport planes for USD 4.1 billion and upgrading 49 Mirage-2000 combat jets for USD 2.4 billion, both in 2011.
Of the capital expenditure, Rs 33,776 crore will go for towards aircraft and aeroengine purchases for the three services of which Rs 25,539 crore will go to the Air Force alone.
India will spend Rs 23,457 crore on other military equipment, apart from Rs 2,080 crore on heavy and medium vehicles. It will also utilise Rs 5,552 crore of its defence capital expenditure on research and development.
The Army will get the lion`s share of the ministry`s non-plan outplay at Rs 81,833 crore for 2013-14. The non-plan outlay for the Indian Air Force has been pegged at Rs 18,295 crore and for the Indian Navy at Rs 12,194 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015