Budget session: Black money issue to be prominent
New Delhi: The issue of bringing back Indian
black money stashed abroad is likely to figure prominently in
the Budget session of Parliament beginning Monday with BJP
leader LK Advani on Saturday saying that the Opposition was eager
to know how the Government had tackled the matter.
Recalling Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee`s assurance
to Parliament during the Winter session that a "white paper"
(authoritative document) would be brought on black money,
Advani said it was an "important issue" and the opposition
looked forward to it with great expectation.
"I do not know if the Finance Minister`s promise in the
last session of a white paper on black money is going to be
presented in the first part or after the recess. That is an
issue we look forward to with great expectation...that it will
not be just a formal thing," he told reporters here.
"The issue itself is important and we would like to know
from the white paper how the Government has tackled it till
now or proposes to get back the enornmous wealth, which has
been very often illicitly earned...," he said.
During the discussion on the adjournment motion in the
Lok Sabha, Mukherjee had assured that the government will
bring a "White Paper" on black money.
Replying to a spirited debate on Adjournment Motion on
Blackmoney moved by Advani, which was later defeated by voice
vote, Mukherjee had rejected Opposition demand for making
public the information received, saying it would violate the
agreement with foreign countries and also "dry up our source
Asked about Lokpal Bill, which could not be passed in the
Rajya Sabha during the Winter session, Advani said the
legislation should be brought in the House.
"Lokpal Bill should be brought," he said.
The Rajya Sabha had witnessed a mid-night drama after the
government said on expiry of the extended time period of the
Winter session that there was no time left for voting and
passage of the Lokpal Bill.
An angry Opposition had accused the Government of being
in a "hopeless" minority and running away from Parliament.
Without referring to the Centre`s proposal to implement
National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Advani also said the
Opposition would demand a discussion on its "concern on
encroachments into the state`s authority".
He said Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj
had expressed the Opposition`s concern on encroachments into
the state`s authority and dilution of the country`s federal
structure when she met Speaker Meira Kumar.
"These are the matters of concern, how we discuss it,
whether we discuss it in the first part -- before the recess
or the second part-- all these are things to be decided,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt