‘Budgetary cuts will not hit US-Indo defence ties’
Washington: The US Sunday said its "strong" military ties with India are growing and a series of joint exercises between them are unlikely to be hit by a massive
defence budgetary cuts announced this week.
"I can tell you that the US-India relationship is a priority for the US Government and for the US Department of Defence because a strong bilateral partnership is in the United States` interests and benefits both countries," Cmdr Leslie Hull-Ryde, a defence department spokeswoman, told a news agency.
Hull-Ryde was responding to questions on India-US defence relationship in the aftermath of the latest defence strategic document of the Pentagon, which says that the United States is investing in a long term strategic partnership with India.
"The United States is investing in a long-term strategic partnership with India to support its ability to serve as a regional economic anchor and provider of security in the broader Indian Ocean region," said the strategic document unveiled by President Barack Obama at the Pentagon.
The new strategy policy is supposed to shape Pentagon budget priorities as Obama`s administration prepares for USD 487 billion in defence cuts over the next 10 years.
"It`s premature to discuss budget-related specifics as our leadership is still going through the process of making final budget decisions," she said.
However, given the significance attached to the India-US defence relationship, officials said the series of military-to-military exercises between the two countries are unlikely to be affected by this massive defence cuts.
Some of the important exercises currently scheduled between the US and India for this year are Shatrujeet (spring), Yudh Abhyas (spring), Habu Nag (late fall), Malabar (spring) and RIMPAC (Rim of the Pacific Exercise), which is the world`s largest international maritime exercise in the summer.
At this time there is no indication that any of these exercises being affected by any US budget constraints, said a Pacific Command official.
"In the past decade, there has been a rapid transformation in the US-India defence relationship. What was once a nascent relationship between unfamiliar nations has now evolved into a strategic partnership between two of the preeminent powers in Asia," the spokeswoman said.
"Today, US-India ties are strong and growing. Our military-to-military engagement has increased steadily over the past ten years and now includes a robust slate of
dialogues, military exercises, defence trade, personnel
exchanges and armaments cooperation," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!