Cabinet meet postponed as PM unwell
New Delhi: A meeting of the Union Cabinet scheduled for Thursday morning was postponed as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was indisposed.
The meeting, slated for 10.30 AM, was to consider a number of proposals, including amendments to the Whistleblowers` Protection Bill.
The meeting had to be postponed as the Prime Minister is a little unwell, sources said.
Among the issues on the Cabinet agenda was consideration of official amendments to the Whistleblowers Protection Bill. These include keeping out of the proposed law any information that could compromise strategic and economic interests and impact foreign relations.
Though the official amendments were moved in the Rajya Sabha last year, the bill could not come up for proper discussion and passage. It came up for consideration on August 14 last year but the House was adjourned due to the demise of Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
Now the Ministry of Personnel is seeking the Union Cabinet`s post facto approval to the official amendments.
The Cabinet was also to take up a proposal for providing a stand-alone Rs 1000 crore additional central assistance to districts affected by Maoist violence for strengthening development and welfare initiatives there.
The additional central assistance for Maoist-affected districts will be on 100 percent grant basis and cover 82 Integrated Action Plan (IAP) districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened