CAG has powers to ensure unfettered audits: Rai
New Delhi: Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai has said that Constitution has adequately empowered the public auditor to exercise its functions and ensure "unfettered" audits.
"We do not need more powers, the Constitution makers in this country have been fair while conceptualising the role of the CAG...In terms of scope and in terms of powers both have been very well defined and adequate powers and scope have been given to CAG for him to ensure that its audit is unfettered," he said in an interview.
The official auditor has been criticised by the government for its reports on 2G spectrum and coal block allocations. Rai, however, said he did not face any pressure from the government during the auditing process.
"The government or other agencies within the country respect the independence of the CAG, I have never felt any kind of pressure while formulating our reports," he said, adding, "an audit usually highlights failure or lacunae in projects. CAG is an agency to ensure that good practises are disseminated pan India."
Replying to a question over the simplification of CAG reports, he said: "My department and I certainly believe that whatever are our findings (they) are certainly meant to be debated in the PAC (Public Accounts Committee) and Parliament ... We have a larger role to perform because the ultimate stakeholder in the parliamentary democracy that we have in India is the man on the street."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata