CAG has powers to ensure unfettered audits: Rai
New Delhi: Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai has said that Constitution has adequately empowered the public auditor to exercise its functions and ensure "unfettered" audits.
"We do not need more powers, the Constitution makers in this country have been fair while conceptualising the role of the CAG...In terms of scope and in terms of powers both have been very well defined and adequate powers and scope have been given to CAG for him to ensure that its audit is unfettered," he said in an interview.
The official auditor has been criticised by the government for its reports on 2G spectrum and coal block allocations. Rai, however, said he did not face any pressure from the government during the auditing process.
"The government or other agencies within the country respect the independence of the CAG, I have never felt any kind of pressure while formulating our reports," he said, adding, "an audit usually highlights failure or lacunae in projects. CAG is an agency to ensure that good practises are disseminated pan India."
Replying to a question over the simplification of CAG reports, he said: "My department and I certainly believe that whatever are our findings (they) are certainly meant to be debated in the PAC (Public Accounts Committee) and Parliament ... We have a larger role to perform because the ultimate stakeholder in the parliamentary democracy that we have in India is the man on the street."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends