CAG raps HAL for delays in IJT project
New Delhi: The CAG on Thursday rapped Hindustan Aeronautics limited (HAL) for being "unsuccessful" in producing an indigenous Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT) aircraft even 13 years after the project was initiated.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) also pulled up the aerospace PSU for incurring a loss of Rs 52 crore in supplying Advanced Light Helicopters to Ecuador by selling them at less than their prime cost.
"The project suffered at every stage of its execution. While the planning went awry with indecisiveness about the weight, thrust and life of the engine at design stage itself, taking up production without Initial Operational Clearance did not serve the purpose of the IAF which had projected requirement for the aircraft way back in 1999," the report said.
The project, sanctioned by the Defence Ministry in July 1999 at a cost of Rs 60 crore, was to be completed by the July 2004.
"The project slipped the target date of July 2004 by almost a decade and target for completion was reset to December 2013 by HAL, for which the Defence Ministry approval is still awaited," it said.
The Government auditor said Defence Ministry had also released Rs 3074 crore towards the project but the sole aerospace PSU in the country could spend only Rs 167 crore leaving 95 percent of the funds unutilised.
The CAG also pulled up the HAL for its inability to produce an indigenous engine for the Advanced Light Helicopter resulting in delay in induction of Dhruv choppers in armed forces and avoidable expenditure of Rs 204 crore to the firm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs