Campaign to check rising Indian suicides in Oman
Dubai: Worried over a spate of suicides among Indians in Oman, members of a socio-cultural organisation from Kerala have initiated a series of programmes to reach out to people in distress as part of their anti-suicide campaign.
The organisation named Tanima Oman has initiated measures after recent reports on a rising trend of suicides among Indians, especially among the Keralities, living and working in the country.
Under the `You are not alone: Life is Beautiful and is Meant for Living` campaign, the group has organised several programmes like get-togethers and distribution of multi-lingual pamphlets, to highlight the importance of life in Hindi, Urdu, English and Malayalam.
Official data available till mid-April this year revealed that an Indian living in Oman has been found to commit suicide every sixth day.
In January and February, eight Indians committed suicide, while four ended their lives in March. Three people had committed suicide till mid-April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’