Campaign to check rising Indian suicides in Oman
Dubai: Worried over a spate of suicides among Indians in Oman, members of a socio-cultural organisation from Kerala have initiated a series of programmes to reach out to people in distress as part of their anti-suicide campaign.
The organisation named Tanima Oman has initiated measures after recent reports on a rising trend of suicides among Indians, especially among the Keralities, living and working in the country.
Under the `You are not alone: Life is Beautiful and is Meant for Living` campaign, the group has organised several programmes like get-togethers and distribution of multi-lingual pamphlets, to highlight the importance of life in Hindi, Urdu, English and Malayalam.
Official data available till mid-April this year revealed that an Indian living in Oman has been found to commit suicide every sixth day.
In January and February, eight Indians committed suicide, while four ended their lives in March. Three people had committed suicide till mid-April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17