Cannot target national symbols in cartoons: Government
New Delhi: As rights activists criticised the government for arresting a cartoonist for an allegedly derogatory cartoon, the government on Monday said that such artists should stay "within constitutional limits" and not make national symbols the target of cartoons.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters that the government had "no problems" with cartoons, but "they should stay within constitutional parameters" and added that "they cannot make national symbols the object of their cartoon".
She was speaking after a furore erupted over the arrest of Aseem Trivedi for allegedly uploading a derogatory cartoon on his web portal.
Trivedi, 25, an activist of India Against Corruption (IAC), was picked up Saturday evening by Mumbai police following a non-bailable arrest warrant issued against him.
He is accused of uploading "ugly and obscene" matter on his web portal and for putting up objectionable banners insulting the Indian constitution during Anna Hazare`s anti-corruption agitation here last December.
IAC too Monday demanded that Trivedi be "unconditionally released" and "the baseless charge of sedition be withdrawn instantly".
A Mumbai court Sunday remanded Trivedi to seven days police custody.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical