Cannot target national symbols in cartoons: Government
New Delhi: As rights activists criticised the government for arresting a cartoonist for an allegedly derogatory cartoon, the government on Monday said that such artists should stay "within constitutional limits" and not make national symbols the target of cartoons.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters that the government had "no problems" with cartoons, but "they should stay within constitutional parameters" and added that "they cannot make national symbols the object of their cartoon".
She was speaking after a furore erupted over the arrest of Aseem Trivedi for allegedly uploading a derogatory cartoon on his web portal.
Trivedi, 25, an activist of India Against Corruption (IAC), was picked up Saturday evening by Mumbai police following a non-bailable arrest warrant issued against him.
He is accused of uploading "ugly and obscene" matter on his web portal and for putting up objectionable banners insulting the Indian constitution during Anna Hazare`s anti-corruption agitation here last December.
IAC too Monday demanded that Trivedi be "unconditionally released" and "the baseless charge of sedition be withdrawn instantly".
A Mumbai court Sunday remanded Trivedi to seven days police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?