Caught on camera: Juveniles murder youth in Delhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: On a day when the Union Cabinet approved lowering of age of juveniles from 18 to 16 years for prosecution in criminal, a ghastly murder came to light in Delhi involving teenagers.
As per police, three juveniles along with two adults stabbed to death a 21-year-old youth in broad daylight on Tuesday in Madangir Central Market of southeast Delhi.
The police have arrested all the five attackers and a case of murder has been filed against them at the Ambedkar Nagar Police Station.
The police had yesterday said that all five accused were juveniles, but today they clarified that only three were juveniles and two were adults.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Pushpender Kumar said that they were now convinced that two of the suspects -- Shahrukh and Kartik -- were both aged 20 years.
Both will be produced in court today.
The horrific murder was caught on a CCTV camera installed in the busy marketplace.
The deceased has been identified as Sachin.
Narrating the turn of events, police said the murder took place around 3:30 pm when Sachin, along with his friend, was passing through the street on a bike when the five juveniles came from the opposite direction and pushed him off the bike.
While his friend managed to flee, the attackers stabbed Sachin indiscriminately. Passersby watched in horror and nobody came forward to save the victim out of fear. One of the attackers is seen brandishing his knife in the air in order to threaten locals in the CCTV footage.
As the attackers fled the scene leaving Sachin in a pool of blood, he was rushed to a nearby hospital where doctors declared him brought dead.
During investigation, all the five juvenile attackers were identified by the police with the help of CCTV footage and eyewitness account and were later apprehended.
"It has emerged that Sachin was in touch with some anti-social elements and used to regularly harass some of the juveniles involved in this case. One of the attackers, who is 15-year-old, told us during interrogation that Sachin had extorted money from him. Later, he too came in contact with some ruffian elements of the area and all of them decided to eliminate Sachin," said a senior police official.
Sachin used to assist his father at his shop in Madangir while the five juveniles also belong to the same area. Some of them are sanitation workers and labourers.
"All of them are school dropouts. They are being questioned and further investigations are on," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) P Karunakaran.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured