CBI arrests Coalgate investigator on graft charge
New Delhi: In a swift operation, CBI on Friday night arrested its own Superintendent of Police, who was heading the Coalgate probe team, an inspector and two others for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 7 lakh from a businessman outside its headquarters here to settle a land dispute.
CBI`s internal vigilance apprehended Inspector Rajesh while receiving the bribe on behalf of SP Vivek Dutt who was Chief Investigator in the coal blocks allocation scam case.
"We had information about such a dealing and we continiued to maintain surveillance on them. After monitoring them for pretty long, today they were arrested for taking the bribe", CBI Director Ranjit Sinha told PTI.
He said CBI would inform the Supreme Court soon about the developments since the apex court had ruled that no official associated with the probe into the scam will be transferred without informing it.
CBI sources said the businessman, who gave the bribe, and another person party to the land dispute were also arrested.
They said the agency got a tip-off that Dutt, who was posted in its Economic Offences Wing, had allegedly struck a deal to settle a land dispute in return for illegal gratification.
They said Dutt had allegedly used his influence with Delhi Police officials to withdraw a petition from an ongoing land dispute case, which had benefitted the businessman.
The vigilance officials got the tip-off that the alleged deal would materialise this evening and informed the CBI Director about it who gave the go-ahead.
The agency`s internal vigilance then arrested Rajesh when the money was changing hands. Later, Dutt was also taken into custody.
The agency sources said the bribery case had nothing to do with the ongoing coal blocks allocation scam probe in which Dutt was the Chief Investigator.
The operation was carried out on a day when senior officials of CBI from across the country had congregated at the agency headquarters for their quarterly zonal meeting.
"My aim while taking over as CBI Director was to ensure zero tolerance of corruption", Sinha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter