CBI courts convict officials in graft cases
New Delhi: In a 12-year-old case, a special CBI court in Mumbai has sentenced an Income Tax officer to five years of rigorous imprisonment for demanding bribe to avoid complications in the tax matters of a complainant.
The judge found Rajiv Kumar, then Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax, guilty of demanding Rs four lakh bribe and sentenced him to undergo five-years rigorous imprisonment with fine of Rs 30,000.
"A case was registered against the Assistant Commissioner of I-T, Mumbai on a complaint. The complainant had alleged that the accused demanded a bribe of Rs one lakh to avoid complications in his income tax matters. Later on, the accused enhanced his demand of bribe from Rs one lakh to Rs four lakh," a CBI spokesperson said.
The probe agency laid a trap and the accused was caught red handed while accepting a Rs 25,000 as a part amount of the bribe.
In another case, special CBI court convicted Arvind Vijeta Mittal, the then Senior Divisional Engineer Central Railway, Mumbai, for amassing assets disproportionate to known source of his income.
The court sentenced him three-year rigorous imprisonment with a fine of Rs 75,000. His wife, Anjali Mittal, was also handed one-year rigorous imprisonment with a fine of Rs 50,000.
It was alleged that the duo had amassed assets to the tune of Rs 12.6 lakh disproportionate to Arvind`s known source of income.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM