CBI gets phone transcripts from Italy in VVIP chopper scam
New Delhi: CBI has received transcripts of telephone conversations between Italian middlemen and officials of a Defence firm, in which the Italy government has 30 per cent stake, and others in connection with the VVIP helicopter scam .
The transcripts of the telephone calls were handed over to the Defence Ministry, which has been made as an "affected party" by the Italian prosecutors, official sources said here today. They have since been given to the CBI.
The transcripts were in Italian language and the CBI was busy translating the same so that a follow up action could be taken, the sources said.
The transcripts are related to phone conversations of alleged middlemen Haschke Guido and Gerosa Carlo which were tapped by Italian authorities and have been quoted in their preliminary enquiry report.
According to Italian rules, all documents durign any probe have to be shared with the affected parties.
The supply of 12 VVIP Helicopters from AgustaWestland had come under scanner after Italian authorities alleged that the bribe money was given by the company to clinch the deal.
The Italian prosecutor, who carried out the preliminary enquiry, alleged that CEO of Finmeccanica, parent company of UK Based AgustaWestland, had used services of middlemen to distribute bribes in India.
It was not immediately known whether the transcipts gave any clues to the involvement of alleged Indian middlemen.
CBI which carried out probe in India had named 13 individuals including the former Indian Air Force Chief S P Tyagi and European middlemen Carlo Gerosa, Christian Michel and Guido Haschke in the FIR as accused, in connection with the alleged bribe payment.
CBI has alleged that during his tenure as Air Chief, Tyagi and "with his approval" the Air Force "conceded to reduce the service ceiling for VVIP helicopters from 6,000 meters to 4,500 meters as mandatory to which it was opposing vehemently on the grounds of security constraints and other related reasons".
According to the FIR, "Haschke Guido and Gerosa Carlo (middlemen) managed to send Euro 5.6 million through Mohali- based IDS Infotech and Chandigarh-based Aeromatrix Info Solutions Private Limited to India and kept the remaining amount out of about Euro 24.30 million received from AgustaWestland with themselves in the account of IDS Tunisia".
The CBI will also look for some more evidence into alleged remittances to Tyagi brothers and softening of IAF`s stand on service ceiling of the helicopter in the transcript, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends