CBI gets remand of Rly board member in graft case
Mumbai: A special court in Mumbai on Saturday granted the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) two days` transit remand of a Member of the Railway Board in an alleged graft case involving Railway Minister P K Bansal`s nephew.
Mahesh Kumar, recently promoted as Member (Staff) of the Railway Board from the post of Western Railway General Manager, was arrested late on Friday night at the city airport on his arrival from Delhi.
He was produced before a special CBI court which handed him over to the premier investigative agency on two days` transit remand for taking him to Delhi. He is likely to be shifted to the national capital on Saturday evening after CBI obtains a copy of the court`s order.
A senior CBI official said Kumar was taken to St George’s hospital on Friday night for a medical check up.
The Anti Corruption Wing of CBI had on Friday arrested Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla in Chandigarh for accepting Rs 90 lakh in cash from Manjunath, alleged to be the conduit of Kumar.
According to the investigating agency, Kumar was trying to get a lucrative position as Member (Electrical) of the Railway Board for which he had agreed to pay a bribe of Rs 90 lakh first and then Rs 1.10 crore to Singla. The post of Member (Electrical) is crucial for passing tenders of over Rs 2000 crore worth of Railway projects in the coming future, sources said.
Another person Sandip Goyal, who is alleged to have assisted in brokering the deal, was also arrested last night by the CBI. All the accused have been booked under the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The agency on Saturday morning arrested two courier boys who allegedly delivered the bribe amount to Singla, taking the total number of persons arrested in the case to six.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday