CBI probing all angles into Ishrat case: Sinha
New Delhi: CBI is probing "all angles" in the Ishrat Jahan case including the statements of some witnesses claiming knowledge of political conspiracy behind the fake encounter involving the Gujarat Police and the Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau.
"We are investigating all the angles related to it," CBI Director Ranjit Sinha said.
Sinha was asked whether CBI is probing the statement given by Deputy Superintendent of Police D H Goswami before the Magistrate where he reportedly claimed that DIG of crime branch DG Vanzara had got the nod from Gujarat`s political leadership for the encounter.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of Interpol conference on wildlife crimes organised here, Sinha said CBI is taking assistance from other agencies including National Investigation Agency(NIA) in its probe in the case.
He was replying to a question whether the agency has approached the NIA in connection with the claims of US citizen David Headley, a Mumbai attack mastermind, that Ishrat, who was killed in an encounter along with three others, was a Lashkar terrorist. CBI in its first chargesheet has held that the 2004 encounter was fake.
Sinha said Intelligence Bureau is also cooperating with the agency.
On the issue of coal scam where CBI`s lawyer Uday U Lalit recused himself from representing the agency in the wake of an FIR being against Naveen Jindal and his company Jindal Steel and Power Limited, Sinha said the agency has engaged an Additional Solicitor General to represent it before the Supreme Court.
He refused to reply whether CBI`s case has been compromised as Lalit could be privy to evidence collected by the agency against Jindal in this case.
Lalit has reportedly shown his inability to participate in the highly sensitive proceedings since he has represented mining companies owned by Jindal, a Congress MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’