CCS approves National Counter-Terrorism Centre
New Delhi: The government today gave its
approval to set up the National Counter-Terrorism Centre which
will act as the nodal agency for all anti-terror activities in
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), headed by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, after an hour-long meeting gave its
nod to set up the NCTC which will streamline all terror-
related intelligence, analyse and provide them for action to
concerned agencies, official sources said.
A pet project of Home Minister P Chidambaram, the NCTC
will be the nodal agency for all counter-terrorism activities
and coordinate with intelligence agencies such as Intelligence
Bureau (IB), Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), Joint
Intelligence Committee (JIC) and state intelligence agencies.
The NCTC will connect Multi Agency Centre (MAC), which
would be subsumed into NCTC, and all agencies reporting to it
in Delhi and state capitals.
Between the Centre, where almost two dozen agencies
coordinate with MAC, and states almost 500 stakeholders are
involved in counter-terror activities.
The NCTC will not have any foot-soldier to collect
information, but will depend on other agencies.
It will come up through an executive order which will be
issued soon. The government will not bring a legislation for
setting up of this anti-terror body, unlike the NIA that was
created through an Act.
The head of the body, an additional Director General
level police officer, will report to the Union Home Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH