Ceasefire violation on Republic Day, unprovoked firing from Pakistan
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Even as Border Security Forces distributed sweets to the Pakistan Rangers across the border as a part of the 65th Republic Day revelry, Pakistani troops on Sunday morning indulged in unprovoked firing in Uri sector, said reports.
In what was the first case of ceasefire violation since the last month`s DGMO level talks, Pakistan breached the ceasefire this morning at 6:15 am by firing for three hours with an intention to disrupt the peace along the Line of Control, said a top Army official.
Talking to the reporters, General Officer Commanding of 19 Infantry Division Major General Anil Chauhan said, there was unprovoked firing from Pakistani side, reported the PTI.
"They fired about three RPG rounds and small arms on to the Kaman post (in Uri sector) on the Indian side.. it is adjacent to where the Pakistani posts are. So, it could be speculated that elements inimical to the interests of welfare of people, or cross-LoC trade or for maintenance of peace and tranquility along LoC (opened the firing)," the PTI quoted him as saying.
However, the Indian Army did not fire back at them in order to maintain the peace along the LoC, said the Officer Commanding.
"In spite of continuous firing at the LoC for three hours, we have shown great restraint and did not retaliate at all. The idea basically is to maintain peace and tranquility along the LoC," he added.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!