Ceasefire violation on Republic Day, unprovoked firing from Pakistan
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Even as Border Security Forces distributed sweets to the Pakistan Rangers across the border as a part of the 65th Republic Day revelry, Pakistani troops on Sunday morning indulged in unprovoked firing in Uri sector, said reports.
In what was the first case of ceasefire violation since the last month`s DGMO level talks, Pakistan breached the ceasefire this morning at 6:15 am by firing for three hours with an intention to disrupt the peace along the Line of Control, said a top Army official.
Talking to the reporters, General Officer Commanding of 19 Infantry Division Major General Anil Chauhan said, there was unprovoked firing from Pakistani side, reported the PTI.
"They fired about three RPG rounds and small arms on to the Kaman post (in Uri sector) on the Indian side.. it is adjacent to where the Pakistani posts are. So, it could be speculated that elements inimical to the interests of welfare of people, or cross-LoC trade or for maintenance of peace and tranquility along LoC (opened the firing)," the PTI quoted him as saying.
However, the Indian Army did not fire back at them in order to maintain the peace along the LoC, said the Officer Commanding.
"In spite of continuous firing at the LoC for three hours, we have shown great restraint and did not retaliate at all. The idea basically is to maintain peace and tranquility along the LoC," he added.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs