CEC leads delegation to Jordan
New Delhi: Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi on Saturday led a delegation to Amman on the Jordanian Prime Minister`s invitation to explore modalities of supporting the electoral process in that country against the backdrop of political reforms.
The Jordanian request was made during a visit of Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed to Amman in November 2011 and the Election Commission of India (ECI) accepted the External Affairs Ministry`s request to explore possibilities
of extending such support.
A major purpose of the visit is to explore the possibility of assisting Jordan in enacting an electoral law, which would ensure fairness and transparency of polling
process and emergence of a truly representative Parliament.
Those accompanying the CEC as part of the delegation are EC`s Director General Akshay Rout, Chief Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh Umesh Sinha, and EC`s legal adviser S K Mendiratta.
The four-day visit will commence with a call on Prime Minister of Jordan Awn Al Khasawneh, and other meetings with Ministers of Justice, Legislation, Political Development and Parliamentary Affairs, Legal Affairs, Minister of Planning &
International Cooperation, and stakeholders involved with the electoral reforms and polling process.
The visit is a part of EC’s preparedness to share its professional and technical expertise with developing nations, particularly the Arab world, in the light of developments in the region for electoral reform.
EC has responded to requests for technical and professional assistance from nations like Tunisia, Egypt and other countries bilaterally and also under requests from UNDP in the spirit of South-South cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand