Centre admits sexual harassment of female RJs of AIR
New Delhi: The Centre on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that there have been instances of sexual harassment against women radio presenters working with FM Gold channel of All India Radio (AIR) and appropriate action has been taken against the erring people.
AIR in its affidavit, filed before a bench of Chief Justice N V Ramana and Justice Manmohan, denied the allegations against it that Vishaka guidelines have not been implemented by it and said it is "alive to its responsibility of ensuring that no act of sexual harassment at work place takes place".
The submissions were contained in the reports, filed before the court, of two committees formed by the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry and AIR to look into the allegation that some women presenters of AIR were sexually harassed and exploited by their senior officials.
The reports were filed in the court and a copy was given to the petitioner who was given time till December 11 to file a response after going through the findings of the committees.
The committees formed by the ministry as well as AIR had given their findings after going through the statements made by the individual complainant as well as other women radio jockeys of FM Gold as well as submissions of the senior officials who had been accused of sexually harassing them.
The ministry`s committee in its report of April 2013 has observed that "casual presenters at FM Gold and FM Rainbow seem to be in a vulnerable position because of the casual nature of their engagement" and recommended that AIR replace system of grading by duty officers and put in place a comprehensive Performance Appraisal System.
The panel also recommended installation of closed circuit TV monitors at key places as well as surprise checks on staff present on duty to act as deterrents against sexual harassment of women.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by social worker Meera Mishra through advocate Sugriva Dubey against the alleged sexual harassment and exploitation of women radio presenters of AIR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister