Centre admits sexual harassment of female RJs of AIR
New Delhi: The Centre on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that there have been instances of sexual harassment against women radio presenters working with FM Gold channel of All India Radio (AIR) and appropriate action has been taken against the erring people.
AIR in its affidavit, filed before a bench of Chief Justice N V Ramana and Justice Manmohan, denied the allegations against it that Vishaka guidelines have not been implemented by it and said it is "alive to its responsibility of ensuring that no act of sexual harassment at work place takes place".
The submissions were contained in the reports, filed before the court, of two committees formed by the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry and AIR to look into the allegation that some women presenters of AIR were sexually harassed and exploited by their senior officials.
The reports were filed in the court and a copy was given to the petitioner who was given time till December 11 to file a response after going through the findings of the committees.
The committees formed by the ministry as well as AIR had given their findings after going through the statements made by the individual complainant as well as other women radio jockeys of FM Gold as well as submissions of the senior officials who had been accused of sexually harassing them.
The ministry`s committee in its report of April 2013 has observed that "casual presenters at FM Gold and FM Rainbow seem to be in a vulnerable position because of the casual nature of their engagement" and recommended that AIR replace system of grading by duty officers and put in place a comprehensive Performance Appraisal System.
The panel also recommended installation of closed circuit TV monitors at key places as well as surprise checks on staff present on duty to act as deterrents against sexual harassment of women.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by social worker Meera Mishra through advocate Sugriva Dubey against the alleged sexual harassment and exploitation of women radio presenters of AIR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof