Centre blame states for overdrawing power
New Delhi: Blaming overdrawal of power by certain states for the current crisis, Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday said the government is working to bring back normalcy in about one hour.
"We are trying to restore the situation back to normalcy in one hour or so. We are trying our level best to restore it," Shinde told reporters here as the country faced one of its worst power crisis for the second straight day.
It is probably for first time three grids are collapsing simultaneously.
Northern Grid failed for the second consecutive day today while Eastern and North Eastern Grids also collapsed this morning, leaving more than half of the country powerless.
Power Secretary P Uma Shankar said that all essential loads have been brought back, some of them have been restored.
"We are working on that. In an hour, it (situation) would be restored," he said.
Asked about the reasons for the failure of grids, Shinde said some states are drawing electricity over and above their limits. "This was creating problems," he added.
"This morning only, I was told (by officials) that about 3,000 MW extra power has been over drawn from the Eastern Grid. We have given the direction to either stop it (overdrawal) or take action against them," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read