New Delhi: The CBI has told a special court
that it has begun examining the role of one of its officials
behind the missing of documents pertaining to multi-crore
rupees land scam here, involving `chhole-bhature` vendor Ashok
CBI DIG S K Palsania made the submission to Special CBI
Judge A K Mendiratta nearly two months after the agency`s
chief had been summoned by the court to give an explanation
about the missing documents relating to the 2000-02 scam.
Palsania told the court that the agency has initiated a
probe against the investigating officer for his failure to
deposit the original record with the charge sheet in the case.
He said an inquiry for `regular departmental action` for
major penalty has been initiated against Inspector D K Thakur
for his failure to deposit the original documents and
statements of witnesses along with the charge sheet and for
his failure to handover the case records to his successor.
He contended that the agency has been able to trace three
documents from among the missing papers as also the statement
of a witness.
The court, meanwhile, granted another eight weeks to the
CBI to trace the remaining records after the CBI DIG sought
more time to trace them.
"Considering the facts and circumstances and as
prayed by the CBI, the prosecution is granted further period
of eight weeks to trace the missing documents and place the
same on record," the Special Judge said.
The fact about the missing documents in the high-profile
Molarband and Dheerpur land scam had come to the court`s
notice on November 28, 2011 when it was told by the CBI that
the documents and the statements could not be filed in the
court as the IO of the case was arrested in a trap case.