Chhota Pakistan, Laden Nagar in India!
Mumbai: Naming localities in India as Chhota Pakistan and Laden Nagar may surprise most but that is how a slum cluster in Nalla Sopara near Mumbai is known to locals.
And, the names seem to have earned official sanction with electricity bills generated by state’s power distribution company- Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution company, using the names to identify connections in the locality.
As per NDTV, the matter came to fore when locals submitted these electricity bills as proof of their residential status for unique identification or Adhaar cards, being issued to all Indian citizens.
However, the residents – majority being members of a minority community - are not happy with the adverse branding of these localities and their reference to Pakistan and al-Qaeda founder Osama Bin Laden
The actual name of the area is said to be Laxmi Nagar.
The local residents claim that despite complaining for several times, no government official has bothered to look into the matter.
As per them, the officials of the Maharashtra State Electricity Board (MSEB) know about this gaffe but they do nothing.
Further investigations into the matter revealed why this patch between Santosh Nagar and the Western Express highway came to be called Chhota Pakistan.
The locals claim that sometimes back there was high tension between the builder mafia and the local police here following which the cops started referring to this locality as Chhota Pakistan.
Local corporator Chaya Patil raised this issue and brought the shocking lapse of the state electricity department to the attention of the district collector.
Meanwhile, the State Minorities Commission has asked the MSEB to probe the "serious lapse" on its bills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report