Chit fund scam: Sudipta Sen sent to judicial custody
Kolkata: Sudipta Sen, the chairman of Saradha Group which allegedly defrauded thousands of small investors, was on Saturday sent to judicial custody by a Bidhanangar court as the police did not seek his further remand.
Sen was produced in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Bidhanagar, A H M Rahman, after the expiry of nine days custody and sent on judicial remand in three separate cases till May 22, May 23 and May 31.
The police which had taken him on remand for 14 days followed by a further nine days, did not make a prayer for its extension, Sen`s counsel Samir Das said.
The three cases related to non-payment of salary and chit fund cases, Das said.
The in-charge of Saradha Group`s Jharkhand operations, Arvind Singh Chouhan, was also remanded to judicial custody in three separate cases till May 22, May 23 and May 31.
Saradha director, Debjani Mukherjee, could not be produced as she was admitted to a private hospital in the morning after she complained of illness.
"According to law for further remand in either police custody or judicial custody the accused has to be produced before the court either via tele conferencing or physically. As neither of the two is possible as of now her case is pending," Debjani`s lawyer Anirban Guha Thakurta said.
Sen, Mukherjee and Chouhan, were arrested from Sonamarg in Kashmir valley on April 24 while they were on the run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened