Chit fund scam: Sudipta Sen sent to judicial custody
Kolkata: Sudipta Sen, the chairman of Saradha Group which allegedly defrauded thousands of small investors, was on Saturday sent to judicial custody by a Bidhanangar court as the police did not seek his further remand.
Sen was produced in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Bidhanagar, A H M Rahman, after the expiry of nine days custody and sent on judicial remand in three separate cases till May 22, May 23 and May 31.
The police which had taken him on remand for 14 days followed by a further nine days, did not make a prayer for its extension, Sen`s counsel Samir Das said.
The three cases related to non-payment of salary and chit fund cases, Das said.
The in-charge of Saradha Group`s Jharkhand operations, Arvind Singh Chouhan, was also remanded to judicial custody in three separate cases till May 22, May 23 and May 31.
Saradha director, Debjani Mukherjee, could not be produced as she was admitted to a private hospital in the morning after she complained of illness.
"According to law for further remand in either police custody or judicial custody the accused has to be produced before the court either via tele conferencing or physically. As neither of the two is possible as of now her case is pending," Debjani`s lawyer Anirban Guha Thakurta said.
Sen, Mukherjee and Chouhan, were arrested from Sonamarg in Kashmir valley on April 24 while they were on the run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack