Chit fund scam: Sudipta Sen sent to judicial custody
Kolkata: Sudipta Sen, the chairman of Saradha Group which allegedly defrauded thousands of small investors, was on Saturday sent to judicial custody by a Bidhanangar court as the police did not seek his further remand.
Sen was produced in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Bidhanagar, A H M Rahman, after the expiry of nine days custody and sent on judicial remand in three separate cases till May 22, May 23 and May 31.
The police which had taken him on remand for 14 days followed by a further nine days, did not make a prayer for its extension, Sen`s counsel Samir Das said.
The three cases related to non-payment of salary and chit fund cases, Das said.
The in-charge of Saradha Group`s Jharkhand operations, Arvind Singh Chouhan, was also remanded to judicial custody in three separate cases till May 22, May 23 and May 31.
Saradha director, Debjani Mukherjee, could not be produced as she was admitted to a private hospital in the morning after she complained of illness.
"According to law for further remand in either police custody or judicial custody the accused has to be produced before the court either via tele conferencing or physically. As neither of the two is possible as of now her case is pending," Debjani`s lawyer Anirban Guha Thakurta said.
Sen, Mukherjee and Chouhan, were arrested from Sonamarg in Kashmir valley on April 24 while they were on the run.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof