Chopper deal: Govt committed and serious to find out truth, says Congress
New Delhi: A day after an Italian court denied to share any documents with India regarding the Agusta Westland deal for 12 VVIP choppers, the Congress party on Sunday said that the government is committed to find out the truth behind the alleged corruption in the deal and an investigation team will visit Italy despite the court refusal.
According to media reports, the Italian court, which is hearing the case of alleged corruption in deal, has informed the Indian embassy in Rome on Saturday that the investigation is at an initial stage and the documents can only be shared with the parties in the case, arguing that the information is covered by secrecy.
“I don’t have detail information about the Italian court’s order, but the CBI is investigating the matter, and it will be not proper to comment on the matter before it submits its report. I can only say that the government is very serious and committed to find out the truth behind the deal. No one will be spared if found guilty,” said Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi.
Another Congress leader, Jagdambika Pal said that a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) team is set to visit Italy and they will try to find out the facts.
“It is the court that has refused to the share documents. But our officials can meet and talk to the government officials as well as the people related to the company. So, they will visit there and try to find out as much evidence as possible by talking and interrogating the people concerned,” said Pal.
The Defence Ministry has directed the CBI to probe the matter and two officials from the CBI will also be visiting Italy.
The copter scam has unfolded with the arrest of the head of a state-controlled Italian aerospace company.
Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi, who was arrested on Tuesday in Rome, had been under investigation for months and had denied any wrongdoing in the deal for the sale of 12 AgustaWestland helicopters to India in 2010.
AgustaWestland, the Italian firm is presently at the centre of a controversy over allegations of paying kickbacks in the Rs 3600 crore VVIP chopper deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!