Clean, healthy environ basic need for human wellbeing: Ansari
New Delhi: Government and institutional action is needed for ensuring a clean and healthy environment which is a basic requirement for human wellbeing and economic growth, Vice President Hamid Ansari said here on Monday.
Delivering his inaugural address at the international conference on `Strengthening Green Federalism: Sharing International Practices`, Ansari spoke on issues related to inter-linking of rivers, which, he said, has been a source of conflict between countries and states.
"Culturally, legally, morally and existentially we need to move to a deeper understanding and recognition of the fact that human wellbeing and even economic growth are underpinned by a clean and healthy environment," he said.
Noting that forests and climate change are global issues, he said, "(These) require multilateral solutions with adaptive responses at national levels appropriate to specific regional and local requirements."
Ansari said that the Approach Paper for 12th Five Year Plan also mentions that government at all levels needs to act together to combat the challenge of climate change.
"Serious reflection and action is required on the issues of governance and institutional design wherein environment and development are concerned. The 13th Finance Commission urged the need to manage ecology, environment and climate change consistent with sustainable development and to incentivise states towards improved environmental performance," he said.
Ansari said that the importance of strengthening federal relations to protect the environment has been pointed out by the Punchhi Commission on Centre-State Relations.
Stressing the need for a change in approach for interlinking of rivers, he said, "Inter-state rivers are source of conflicts and acrimony between countries and between states around the sharing and use of water. Many of these conflicts result from a poor fit between ecosystems they represent and institutions designed to manage them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!