CNG may cost Rs 2 more
New Delhi: Price of Compressed Natural Gas
(CNG) may be hiked by up to Rs 2 per kg in the next few days
as rupee devaluation has pushed up input cost.
City gas retailers including Indraprastha Gas Ltd, which
supplies CNG to automobiles and piped cooking gas to
households in the national capital, are likely to announce
fuel price revision over the weekend, sources privy to the
IGL had last raised CNG in Delhi by Rs 2 per kg to Rs 32
per kg from October 1.
Sources said the hike was necessitated because IGL and
other city gas firms were being forced to buy expensive
imported LNG as supplies from Reliance Industries` eastern
offshore KG-D6 gas field have dried-up due to fall in output.
Also, the rupee depreciation has made raw material --
that is, natural gas from Reliance, state-owned GAIL and
imported LNG -- even costlier.
Rupee was at about Rs 49.50 to a US dollar at the time of
last price hike and it is today close to Rs 53 to a US dollar.
The government has fixed the price of domestic gas
produced by state-owned ONGC and RIL in US dollar terms and
every time the rupee depreciates against the US currency,
users end up paying more. Gas from both Reliance and ONGC is
priced at USD 4.20 per million British thermal units.
IGL contracted 0.308 million standard cubic metres per
day of gas from RIL, but following a 35 per cent drop in KG-D6
output, supplies to city gas projects have been cut so that
demand of priority power and fertiliser sector can be met.
Sources said companies like IGL and Mahanagar Gas Ltd in
Mumbai are buying imported liquefied natural gas (LNG), which
is priced at over USD 17 per mmBtu, to meet the shortfall.
IGL get up to 2.7 mmscmd of gas from domestic fields of
Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) and buys another 0.6 mmscmd as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks