Commission to fix responsibility in Delhi gang-rape case: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Moving forward to provide speedy justice to the victim of the Delhi gang-rape case and ensure safety and security of women, the Centre on Wednesday announced the setting up of a Commission of Inquiry to probe the matter and look into the lapses by police, if any.
Addressing the press here following a Union Cabinet meet, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram said the Cabinet has approved the setting up of a one-man Commission of Inquiry, which will be headed by former Delhi High Court judge Justice Usha Mehra.
Chidambaram said the Commission will fix responsibility in the case and look into any negligence on part of the Delhi Police.
The Commission has been tasked to also suggest measures on security and safety of women in the country, especially the Delhi-NCR region, the minister, adding the report will be submitted within 3 months after which it will be tabled in Parliament along with action taken by the government.
“Whatever we are doing now is only intended to demonstrate the government’s serious intent on the matter that we will apprehend and punish the perpetrators. We will try and find out what went wrong and fix responsibility. We will also amend the laws as deemed necessary. There are three parts to what we are doing,” Chidambaram told reporters.
He added that the government is open to suggestions on what more needs to be done, especially from women.
Expressing hope that the girl will recover, the minister said “our prayers are with the family of the victim”.
He also appealed to everyone to stay calm and added that “we are trying to find a lasting solution to the problem”.
He noted that the incident was a matter of shame for the government of India.
"It is a shame. As a man, I feel ashamed. All of you here in this room should also feel ashamed. Why do men behave like this? We acknowledge the public anger and recognise it," Chidambaram said at the press conference addressed jointly with Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari.
The decision to set up the Commission was taken at the meeting which was briefed by Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on the December 16 incident that shocked the nation and triggered widespread protests.
At the meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, several ministers expressed anguish at the incident and said the government should walk the extra mile to ensure recovery of the victim and instil a sense of safety among women.
The Commission will be in addition to the three-member Committee headed by former Chief Justice of India J S Verma which is to suggest amendments in law to provide for quicker trial and more stringent punishment in "aggravated sexual assault" cases amid demands for death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide