Congress Core Group meets to chalk out ‘strategy’
New Delhi: At a time when the issue of minority sub quota in OBC reservation has snowballed into a controversy and allies are blocking key bills, Congress top brass including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party President Sonia Gandhi today held consultations to chalk out a strategy.
The government has decided to challenge Andhra Pradesh High Court order that annnuled the Centre`s decision to provide 4.5 per cent quota to backward minorities out of the 27 per cent reservation bracket for OBCs.
However, there have been conflicting versions from two different ministries over the timing of filing a special leave petition in the Supreme Court against the High Court order.
The Core Group meeting of the party took place a day after the government deferred a decision on the changes in the crucial Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011 with key UPA constituent Trinamool Congress raising the banner of opposition to the measure.
The meeting was held in the backdrop of a fresh bid by Team Anna and Ramdev to corner Government on corruption with the yoga guru meeting leaders of all parties including UPA allies to seek their support on the black money issue.
Congress has already made it clear that Gandhi will "definitely consider" meeting Ramdev if any such request is made.
The meeting of the crucial party body also came after Gandhi and the Prime Minister held deliberations with DMK leaders T R Baalu and M K Stalin yesterday amid indications that the party will announce the Presidential nominee of the Congress in a week`s time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre